Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Adventures of the NJ SciFi Guy

Hey everyone, and by everyone I mean no one, because no one reads blogs right?

I digress.

So, why start a scifi blog? Simple, I find that posting on facebook is pointless about this kind of thing, and really, I just like to hear myself talk...er...or type, whatever.

So here I am, immersed in this new world of wacky technology and crazy computer stuff. I feel kind of intimidated, maybe this isn't the right thing for me, what with all the fancy computer buttons and this contraption called a mouse.

So anyway. Back to the topic. Science Fiction and me. Well, mainly Science Fiction.

Science Fiction has been a major influence in my life since I was very little. One of the first movies I can remember seeing was Walt Disney's The Black Hole, followed by Star Wars. I was hooked. Fancy lasers, cool looking robots, and some really weird looking aliens grabbed my attention and have never given it back. Growing up in the 80's gave me exposure to some really great (if somewhat cheesy) Scifi shows. TV Shows like Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Battlestar Galactica, and Misfits of Science come to mind right off the bat, I saw all the major movie releases: Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Krull, Dune, Flash Gordon, etc. I was completely hooked, scifi had me at space and kept me with everything that followed.

As some can guess, growing up loving this stuff, made me somewhat of an oddball with the other kids, but I always had some of, what I felt, were the coolest toys ever. It was also during this time that a movie called Tron introduced me to the world of video games, one of my other great loves in life. So my weekends were spent watching some great movies like Ice Pirates, Battle Beyond the Stars and Starman, as well as playing Pac-man at home with my Dad on the Atari VCS (don't hate on it too hard, I was like 5 years old).

These hobbies stayed sort of in the closet during my teenage years, but once I hit college something new happened, I found a social club that had everything I was interested in, The Ramapo College Science Fiction and Comic Book Club. Here I met some of the best friends I ever made, and they were people who knew the shows, and movies that I loved from when I was a kid. Moreover, they made it easy for me to accept my "geek" heritage more openly.

I was and am still a proud Geek, and am proud to talk openly about my adventures in the land of Science Fiction/Video Game Fandom.

No comments:

Post a Comment